Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Recap of the start of our 2011 School Year

And this year we have 3 students! Wow! We had such a great school year last year that I made the leap to bring Mackenzie home also. And this year Ava Marie is really ready to do some table work with the big girls.

So here is our 2011/2012 Homeschool Curriculum:

Katy - 12 - 6th Grade
Sonlight History of the US combined yr 1&2, Horizons Math, The Reason For Handwriting, Sonlight Science F - Health, Medicine & Human Anatomy, Bible Study - Book of Psalms.

Mackenzie - 8 - 4th Grade
Sonlight History of the US combined Yr 1&2, Horizons Math, The Reason For Handwriting, Sonlight Science A - Animals, Astronomy & Physics, Bible Study - Book of Psalms.

Ava Marie - 3 - Pre-School
Various Workbooks, All About Reading - Level Pre-1, Hooked On Phonics - Pre-School, Bible Study - Listening to the big girls read from Psalms.

Ava Marie has her own table, though she is welcome to sit with us at the bigger table. I reconfigured the formal dining area, which had never actually been used as a dining area but instead was called the "children's area" with a small size table and chairs, play kitchen, book shelves, etc. I made it our schoolroom , moved from the kitchen table. Mostly I did this because this room is directly outside of my office and my office door is all windows, so I can be in my office and still see what is going on at the school table.

Mackenzie had been asking to be homeschooled last year. At the beginning of summer I told her I would think about it. It kind of all depended on her behavior. By the end of summer I told her I thought it would be a good idea. I also decided to skip her up to 4th grade. She has an October birthday and so the public school made her wait to start until after she was 5, this means she is older than most of the other children in the class for most of the year.

I know it suits boys well to wait, and I kind of think it depends on the child, but Mackenzie was sooooo ready to start school the year before they allowed it. And every year since then she has been so far ahead of what they are learning, both in performance and perception. She can read the same books as Katy and totally understands what is going on.

I am ready for an awesome year!

No comments:

Post a Comment